Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quilt for Gwen

I wanted to make something special for Gwen on her 19th birthday.  This is the first birthday she has spent away from home and to top it off, she is in far away Afghanistan. I wanted to give her a quilt that I had made.  I wanted to fill each stitch with love.  I have a crazy notion that it will help protect her and cover her with love while she is far away.

I found the perfect pattern in a magazine and set out with the help of a friend (who knows a lot more about quilts...thanks Kim Roberts!!) to buy fabric.  It was quite and adventure.  Several hours of driving and two fabric shops later I had my fabric!  Unfortunately, the are not any good quilt shops closer than 45 minutes to me!

It took a little longer to put together than I anticipated and I decided to alter the pattern.  Once I had it together, I passed it to Kim to quilt.  Kim is a fabulous long arm quilter.  Then I had to put the binding on the quilt to finish it up.  So, needless to say, Gwen got the quilt TODAY.  Her birthday was June 9th!  It is the thought that counts, right???? 

I am thrilled that she likes the quilt.  She sent me a text to let me know she had received it and love it.  I didn't know they could send texts.  Of course, she also had to add that they had been mortared at their base.  Info that I am not real sure I wanted to know.  I am glad to know that she is ok!!


Hopefully she feels loved every time she looks at the quilt.  I am quite sure it is WAY too hot to sleep under it at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment