Saturday, July 2, 2011

Breakfast of Champions



Now that it is hot in the mornings, I get up at 5:30 or so and go milk. I can milk without pesky flies and gnats. It takes about two hours depending on the number of helpers and when I am finished I am STARVING!!!! I want something quick, which doesn't always equate to good for me. My solution has been to search for a breakfast "cookie". I have finally found one that I like. A little sweet, filled with nuts and dried fruit. Yummm!

I adapted the recipe from my.hearthealthyonline.

Breakfast Cookie

1 large banana, mashed
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (I used creamy and add a generous handful of peanuts or whatever nut I have on hand)
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour (really whatever you have on hand works, except self-rising)
1/4 cup dry milk powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried fruit of your choosing
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two cookie sheets with non-stick spray. Stir together all ingredients starting with the banana and working down the list. For the dried fruit I have used: raisins and craisans, dried blueberries and raisins, use what you like.

I use a stand mixer, if doing by hand, mix the oats, flour, milk powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl and then add to the wet.

Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and drop mounds of dough onto your baking sheet. Then gently mash them down to about 2-3 inches round and 1/2 inch thick.

Bake, one sheet at a time for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Transfer to a rack to cool. Store in the fridge or an airtight container for a few days. These freeze well.

I think these are a great quick breakfast! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment